Saturday, August 22, 2009

Have you ever offered your seat to the elders, or people who need them when you're in buses or trains? We are supposed to do it, right? What if we didn't? I'll feel guilty if I don't, so whenever I see anyone who needs the seat, I'll offer it to them. But there are times when I do not do so. It's not like I discriminate them, but there are some instances, which just happened so.

For example, some Malay women wear baju kurung, and it's hard to tell whether they're pregnant or they're simply fat! If they're pregnant, of course I should offer them my seat, but if they're not, they would burn more calories while standing, so in a way, I'm helping them right?

Also, I sit public transport alone most of the time, and I try not to make eye contact with anyone, because I think it's rude to just stare at people, and embarrassing too when they catch you looking at them. So I stare at the floor and all I see are people's shoes and legs. I cannot tell their age or disability(s) judging from the shoe they wear right. When I get off the train only I realize the person standing next to me was an elderly.

What is your definition for elderly? People with wrinkled skin? Hunchbacks? People who look like they're sick? Over 50? What about people who are 50 but look like they're in their late 30s? I've seen OLs (office ladies), or in this case, OAs (office aunties), who look very fit and healthy. They can stand straighter than me while wearing their heels, and one hand holding on to the supporter while the other hand is preoccupied with a storybook. I don't think they need the seat right, although their skin is wrinkled and all that.

Sometimes I spot a pregnant women standing near the train doors, but it was too far away from me. I get up, walk towards her, and when I reach her, some imbecile has taken up my place.

Then there are cases where they don't want your seat. It's like they're trying to defy their age or trying to act cool while standing. Since I offered the seat, it would be paiseh if I sat back down, since I don't know if the fella seriously does not want to sit, or he's just trying to see if I was sincere in offering him the seat, or maybe he's paiseh to take the seat. So we both would stand beside the empty seat awkwardly, until someone comes along and take it up.

So, what's your story? Or do you even have one? I'm guessing some of you who read this do not take public transport, or do not care to bother.

No comments: